North Star Editions, Inc., is a Minnesota-based publishing company dedicated to guiding readers toward a lifetime love of reading. NSE offers fiction and nonfiction for children and young adults that inspires, informs, and entertains.
NSE publishes Flux, a young adult fiction imprint, and Jolly Fish Press, a middle-grade fiction imprint. NSE also distributes juvenile nonfiction titles in North Star Education and North Star Classroom.
Flux was launched in 2006 by Llewellyn Worldwide. It was acquired by North Star Editions in July 2016. Flux empowers young adults through imaginative, insightful, and inspiring fiction. Consistently provocative and independently alternative, Flux publishes unique narratives that expand perspectives, provide fresh takes, and increase representation. We seek out extraordinary manuscripts that will inspire, inform, and entertain. For more information, please visit our FAQ page.
Jolly Fish Press officially opened its doors on 11/11/11. It was acquired by North Star Editions in October 2016. Jolly Fish Press publishes children’s books from picture books to middle grade. JFP books range from light, humorous stories that broaden imaginations, to heartfelt narratives that address difficult topics with nuance and care. Above all, JFP books increase representation, position children as changemakers, and celebrate a diversity of experiences. For more information, please visit our FAQ page.
North Star Education
North Star Education includes several imprints:
- Apex: Apex empowers striving readers to explore their interests with the support they need to succeed. This hi-lo imprint also offers lesson plans and other resources related to each series. Reading Level: Grades 2–3 | Interest Level: Grades 3–7
- Focus Readers: Focus Readers strives to combine the best elements of library books and classroom materials. Our books are well suited to differentiated instruction in the classroom. Thanks to our five reading levels—Scout (Grades K–1), Pioneer (Grades 1–2), Beacon (Grades 2–3), Navigator (Grades 3–5), and Voyager (Grades 5–6)—Focus Readers books are perfect for a wide range of readers. In addition, we offer lesson plans, activities, links, and other resources related to each title.
- Little Blue Readers: Little Blue House Books creates books specifically designed for beginning readers. They are available in two levels: Level 1: Guided Reading Level A–D | 16 or 24 pages, Level 2: Guided Reading Level D–H | 24 pages.
- North Star Kids: North Star Kids nonfiction books fuel young readers’ passion for the topics they love the most. Bite-sized text sections and bold, engaging photos make these all-encompassing resources a must-have for any young reader who wants to be a GENIUS KID!
- Press Box Books: Press Box Books is the home for books written by sportswriters for sports fans. With authors who are working journalists, these titles provide the unique perspectives and deep-rooted storytelling that can only be honed from a lifetime of covering the games we all love. Press Box Books is always interested in new projects that offer a fresh perspective or untold story in the sports realm. Check out our submission guidelines and send us your great idea.